Monday, February 20, 2012

Step 2: Block Plans

From the parti's I created, I began to block out space in order to get a feel for where major spaces will go and how circulation will react between those spaces. These Block Plans are shown below:

Block Plan 1 Floor 1

Block Plan 1 Floor 2

In this first attempt I decided to place the cafe right at the entrance because it will be the most used space by the different groups.  I want it to be easily accessible and inviting.  However, circulation was not very successful in this draft because when I stepped back to look at it I realized there were dead end corridors... no bueno.  Also, the circulation between floors does not match up very well which will make it difficult for users to find their way throughout the building.

Block Plan 2 Floor 1

Block Plan 2 Floor 2

I kept most of the spaces the same in this draft and worked on the circulation which came out better but still did match up vertically very well.
I found that the offices where blocking a lot of the natural light from curtain wall around the perimeter and chose to move these to the second floor as you can see in the following plans.

Block Plan 3 Floor 1

Block Plan 3 Floor 2

I placed the lecture hall in the middle so that the room can be dimmed for presentations and lectures without interference from light through windows.


Block Plan 4 Floor 1

Block Plan 4 Floor 2

In these last plan I discovered that I did not want the lounge and cafe to be so close because I want the lounge to be a separate space and not appear to be overflow for the cafe. So, I will move this to the second floor in my plan.  I also decided to keep the library on the first floor where the natural light can be taken advantage of to make the space really special.


And from these block plans I came up with this.....





......It is still in progress, but the ball is really rolling now!

No comments:

Post a Comment